Eggplants are a versatile and delicious vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes. If you’ve just harvested a bumper crop from your garden, here are some quick tips on what dishes you can make with your fresh eggplants.
Eggplant is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a wide variety of dishes. Here are some ideas:
1. Baba ganoush: Baba ganoush is a popular Middle Eastern dip made with roasted eggplant, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. It’s a great appetizer or snack served with pita bread or raw vegetables.
2. Ratatouille: Ratatouille is a classic French dish that features sautéed eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes. It can be served as a side dish or a vegetarian main course.
3. Eggplant Parmesan: Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that features breaded and fried eggplant slices layered with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. It can be served with pasta or as a filling and delicious vegetarian main dish.
4. Moussaka: A Greek dish made with layers of eggplant, ground meat, tomatoes and béchamel sauce. It’s a hearty and flavorful casserole that’s perfect for a family dinner.
5. Grilled eggplant: Grilled eggplant is a simple and delicious way to enjoy this versatile vegetable. Simply brush slices of eggplant with olive oil and grill until tender and lightly charred. It can be used in sandwiches or wraps, served as a side dish or a vegetarian main course.
6. Stuffed eggplant: Stuffed eggplant is a hearty and satisfying dish that can be filled with a variety of ingredients, such as rice, ground meat, cheese and vegetables. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Mix the flesh with cooked rice, vegetables and spices, then stuff it back into the eggplant shells. Bake until tender and golden brown. It can be baked or simmered in a tomato-based sauce.
7. Eggplant curry: Eggplant curry is a popular dish in Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine. It features chunks of eggplant simmered in a spicy tomato-based sauce with aromatics and spices. It adds a meaty texture and absorbs the flavors of the spices and sauces.
8. Pizza with eggplant: Pizza with eggplant as the main topping showcases the rich, meaty flavor and creamy texture of this versatile vegetable. The tender slices of roasted eggplant complemented by tangy tomato sauce, melted cheese and a medley of herbs create a satisfying and savory pizza experience.
9. Eggplant lasagna: Eggplant lasagna is a healthier alternative to traditional lasagna that features layers of roasted eggplant, tomato sauce and cheese. It can be served as a main course or a vegetarian option for a potluck or party.
10. Eggplant burger: Eggplant burger is a tasty and satisfying vegetarian alternative to a traditional meat patty. With a thick, grilled slice of eggplant as the centerpiece, this burger offers a delicious combination of smoky flavors and a meaty texture. Topped with fresh veggies, condiments, and served on a bun, it creates a mouthwatering burger experience that even non-vegetarians will enjoy.
11. Stir-fries: Eggplant works well in stir-fries with other vegetables such as bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. Serve over rice or noodles for a satisfying meal.
12. Eggplant noodles: Eggplant noodles, also known as eggplant “pasta” or eggplant ribbons, are a gluten-free and low-carb alternative to traditional wheat-based noodles. Instead of using pasta, thinly sliced or spiralized eggplant is used to create long, noodle-like strips. These eggplant noodles can be cooked and served in various pasta dishes, offering a lighter and vegetable-packed option for those seeking a healthier alternative.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Eggplant is a versatile vegetable that can be used in many different cuisines and dishes, so don’t be afraid to get creative!